Monday, May 08, 2006

shit, yo

shit, yo, i haven't been blogging like i should have right ? Well, hmmmm, i really feel bad about letting my baby (who spent hours htmlizing this blog) and my readers down (funny thing is that they're probably the same person).
So anyway..

Nigeria.
I don't even know where to start.. the trip may be ?
Hmmm.. during my night in Brazzaville i watched a few episodes of a series made by Les Guignols d'Abidjan. A super famous ivorean crew of comedians.. And as always, while the story or the acting weren't that bad, the visuals and the general rythm sucked. I mean when a character says "ok we're out", do we need to see them getting in a car one by one (the guy was holding the doors for the ladies, so tresvanty) and then turning the engine on and everything ? what are those 2 minutes for ? Do they matter in the story in any way ? and that didnt happen once.. So yeah that was motivating..

While i was waiting for my plane (that was OF COURSE late) i had an interesting convo with a friend of my dad's. We talked about the craziness of this whole project, some of my fears and everything and he basically was super supportive, saying that being resonable is boring and that success or failure is relative.. Ah. Quite predictable you'd say ? well, you'd be suprised to know that THIS in the mouth of one of my parents' friends is NOT COMMON AT ALL..

So then i get on the plane, first deception, I thought the flight was via Kinshasa and Douala and i was excited at the idea of at least looking at the neighbourg giant through my little plane window.. but no, the plane was coming from Kin. Hmmm.. That was soon compensated by the fact that i got a drink that reminded me of my childhood, funny thing is that i can't remember its name now. Shit, that's another thing that sucks about Pointe-Noire, too far from Kin. Hmm..


So i openned a book, boring flight and then DOUALA. I've lived in Douala, Cameroon for 2 years. the last two years of high school. And while I've lived longer in Paris for instance, Douala has left a bigger mark on me. So i was a little moved just by looking at it through the window.. So many memories... And just looking at that city made go up on my "city to move to" list. So one other thing about flying through Douala is the view on Mount Cameroon. That 3,000 meter volcano just standing there near the ocean ALONE. It's actually part of a chain that is mostly submarine (if you look at a map just see where Sao Tome e Principe are, then Malabo and then Douala and you'll have an idea).. So ok, the geography nerd i was looking at what was down there and trying to recognize places, Bonaberi, Buea (speling?), Limbe, and a bunch of fishermen villages. Those were funny because they were sometimes very close to the city but you could see there were no roads linking them to it. Where the people there visiting Douala from time to time ? Just the fishermen or all the families ? those were the random questions is my head..

And then after 15 minutes i could guess we weren't in Cameroon anymore.. how ? well because i'm a nerd and also because the flight wasnt quiet anymore. Turbulences, fasten you seatbelt.. lol, quite a symbol. I was living the slow and quiet central africa.. no more bantu languages, no more french, less mining, more trade..

And then Lagos..
I wonder if my observations from the window are really interesting to my dear readers, but i actually don't care. IT IS TO ME.
So i expected a pulp, a giant and that's what i got.. i could see the end of the city while i was still starting the landing process.. In Brazzaville from almost every part of the city you can see the surrounding still empty hills (well almost empty, BZV too is growing)..

so yeah, here i was, Giant of Africa and all that, all excited because that meant it's on...

i guess i'll stop now..

aflakete the wunderkid at 10:39 AM

2comments

2 Comments

at 12:22 PM Blogger Comb & Razor said...

damn, why'd you stop there? i wanted to hear more!

funny you should mention Les Guignols d'Abidjan though... i just discovered them this past weekend myself.

 
at 3:48 PM Blogger lauren alyse belle said...

Excellent!
Now was that so difficult? Keep them coming...for all 2 of your fans.
Just kidding, perhaps.

:)

 

Post a Comment