Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Why do i post in english ?

One of the reasons my blog aint that very intersting in my opinion is because i write in a foreign language.

Why would one do that ?

Well, just of practical reasons.. My Francophone friends have at least basic english understanding skills, my Anglophone friends can't read anything but english for the most part. Plus i don't give a single damn about french as a language so why would i do it differently ?


Speaking about that, I felt lost a couple of times since this is my first journey to a completly foreign language country.. yeah South Africa for one week with my mom and sister when i was 15 doestn count. For many reasons..

so yeah, i get lost and feel dumb sometimes but i still follow, give me 1 month and even heavy pidgin wont be that hard to understand.

Now weirdly enough, it's the money i have the most trouble with. 1 Naira = 4 CFA Francs, that's WAAAAY easier than converting from French Francs to Euro (yeah i was there during the currency switch) or from CFA Francs to Hrivnas.. Still i get lost.. May be because the values is actually a little close and because I'm not sure I had the time to totally adjust to CFA.. And Nigeria's cheap so I have trouble to control my personnal budget.. you know how during the sales you end up spending more just because well.. it was on sale..

I'm also fascinated by the Nigerian pride. When they say "african", they mean "nigerian". Seriously. And they're proud of Big Brother Nigeria having after a weeks having generated more phonecalls/textmessages and rating than Big Brother South Africa has after it ended. Now really, there are "around" 140 millions of you, what do you expect ? so it's amusing and interesting. Big direct-to-video market in volume, huh ? Well I wonder if some people don't actually stick to video just because of that.
Anyway, I know i come from a small insignifiant country, I shouldn't be talking.

now i need to meditate on why do i use caps after some of my dots and why I don't in other cases.

aflakete the wunderkid at 11:43 AM

1comments

1 Comments

at 12:40 PM Blogger Wale said...

i'm utterly excited for you bro. i'm glad i stumbled to your page. the potential for nollywood is incredible, and i'm glad talented folks, like yourself, are taking advantage.

i hope to eventually work with people like you...hopefully, sometime this year.

have fun in naija!

 

Post a Comment